Thursday, October 23, 2008

"Cinnabon" cinnamon rolls

The kids have today and tomorrow off school (teacher work days). The last two weeks were four day weeks and now we have a three day week!!! They are home almost as much as they are at school!

I've been promising Dylan I'd make cinnamon rolls for a couple weeks now but keep forgetting. It has to be a non-school day so they have time to cook and I have to start them the night before or it will be lunch time before they are ready. What I do is put the ingredients in the bread machine and let it work its magic while Devin and I watch television. 1 1/2 hours later, right before bed, I pull the dough out and make the rolls. Then I cover up the pan and put it to bed in the refrigerator for the night. The next morning, Devin pulls them out as soon as he gets up so they can warm up for about an hour before I put them in the oven.

The reason I'm giving all these details is because these cinnamon rolls are SO worth the trouble and I'm sharing the recipe here: http://www.copykat.com/component/rapidrecipe/?page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=485 and the frosting recipe here: http://www.copykat.com/component/rapidrecipe/?page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=485. I use butter instead of margarine in the frosting and it is absolutely to die for. I wouldn't want to make them too often because they are NOT healthy but as a treat they are over the top. I would post a picture but, honestly, they just don't last long enough to take a picture. Everyone swoops down on them and devours them as soon as they're ready (although this morning I salvaged some to share with my lovely neighbors before I put them on the table). Now I'm enjoying my food coma and the most wonderful smell lingers throughout the house. YUMMMY!

2 comments:

donna said...

They certainly sound gourmet...I'd love to try this recipe but my children have a patience limit of about 20 minutes. Maybe I'll just make them and won't tell the kids about them until they're ready.

Anonymous said...

You left me one right?